The Region of Kongregate
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Football Thread (TFT)

3 posters

Go down

The Football Thread (TFT) Empty The Football Thread (TFT)

Post  The Jaume Islands Sat May 21, 2011 12:18 am

Welcome, association football fans! This is The Football Thread! This thread is similar to KOFT on the Kongregate forums. Here we can discuss everything about the sport! Leagues, teams, championships... Very Happy

If we don't know what to talk about first, I'll suggest a few things. Lille has won the 2010–11 Ligue 1, Manchester United won the Premier League, FC Barcelona the La Liga, Borussia Dortmund the Bundesliga, Milan the Serie A, Porto the UEFA Europa League!

The final of the UEFA Europa League was pretty poor! Not much happened, but at least the only goal was semi-decent. Razz
The Jaume Islands
The Jaume Islands

http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/JaumeBG/?referrer=JaumeBG

Back to top Go down

The Football Thread (TFT) Empty Re: The Football Thread (TFT)

Post  Sellyme Sat May 21, 2011 12:47 am

Oh cool, a chance for me to shamelessly advertise my Wikipedia articles!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Girabola

That's the 2011 season of the top-flight level of football in Angola. I have a lot of other info I'm porting into there as well. Enjoy reading about a lesser-known league!

(But if you want real obscurity, check out [[2011 South Australian Super League]], or [[2011 South Australian Premier League]], two other articles I created).

A place for all your live football score needs: http://www.livescores.com.au/

Sellyme

Back to top Go down

Post  smackaine Tue May 31, 2011 8:36 am

We need to discuss the age-old question- which is superior, La Liga or the Premier League?

Obviously, Barca are miles ahead of anyone else right now in terms of world football, that display in the CL final was breathtaking. Madrid are fantastic, but yet to achieve their true potential. They rely too much IMHO on Ronaldo and Ozil.

In England, we have Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool and Tottenham, all of whom could be considered perennial CL later stage members in years to come. Do Spain have that sort of strength in depth as it were? Barca, RM, Valencia, Sevilla, anyone else? I'm not hugely well acquainted with the nuances of La Liga.

We could also discuss the fact that any one of five teams theoretically have a chance to take home the Premier League title- and that is almost certainly not the case in Spain, where it is becoming more and more like the Scottish league each year.

And then there's TV audiences, the excitement, the pace and strength of the English game.

But then there's the skill, the technical prowess and Messi/Ronaldo in the Spanish game!

It's a pickle, no doubt about it!
smackaine
smackaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sellyme Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:44 am

I say La Liga. Yes, their 3-6th can't compete with "England's" 3-6th best teams, but the 10th and below would thrash their EPL equivalents.

Also, a large majority of La Liga teams are almost entirely Spanish, whereas a whopping 84% of players in the EPL are not English. I refuse in any way to support a national league system in which every team in the top flight has more foreigners than people from their home country (forget home city), so La Liga all the way.

(You know, if the EPL supported English football instead of South American football, maybe England wouldn't be so piss-poor in World Championships.)

Sellyme

Back to top Go down

Post  smackaine Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:56 am

One thing that Barca/Madrid seemed to have down during this year's CL was to play over and above the English team's pace and tempo, slowing the game down for themselves and playing on their terms. Spurs, a perennial top 6 team, has thus far been the team of the CL IMHO, but they took it one step too far.

I'm interested in your assertation that 10th and below in La Liga would wipe the floor with 10th and below in the PL, Selly.

Sporting Gijon
Malaga
Racing
Real Zaragoza
Levante
Real Sociedad
Getafe
Mallorca
Deportivo
Hercules
Almeria

against

Sunderland
West Brom
Newcastle
Stoke
Bolton
Blackburn
Wigan
Wolves
Birmingham
Blackpool
West Ham

On first sight I'd be tempted to agree, more on reputation than anything. However, on second thought, having seen teams week in/week out labelled as mid-table/lower end mediocrity, maybe my mind has been warped to the point I see an exotic name and automatically assume it's a good team? It's like football manager, I can't count the amount of times my scouts have suggested I buy someone called Claudio or something like that. Each time, I make sure I have a special look at the kid. If, however, they suggest 'John Smith' from Rochdale, I don't give it a second thought.

Out of that list, I do see a couple of teams that are notoriously difficult for the top teams to play, Stoke and Bolton are both extremely physical, strong and good in the air. Giving a throw-in to Stoke is like giving away a corner. They've got strong strikers and 'robust' defences. The sort of defences that short of having Messi-esque skills in getting around, would be seriously tough for the more technical strikers in La Liga to break down.

I honestly couldn't say I've watched nearly enough lower end La-Liga to make an informed decision, but thought I would add my two cents in the hope of sparking a bit of a debate Wink
smackaine
smackaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sellyme Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:03 pm

The lower La Liga does have a history of being surprisingly good. Last time UE Lleida made it into the top flight they beat both Madrid and Barcelona, and still got relegated. The two top teams for the last 100 years lost to one that was relegated, you don't see that often in the EPL.

(To be fair, you only see it every 10 years or so in Spain, as well, but I honestly believe they have a better league)

Sellyme

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum